Thursday, September 3, 2009

A very sad day here in the Viera household. The day with the girls went just fine. We had to adjust some plans that we had with a friend that is very sick. So instead we had a picnic at a park and came home ot make some zucchini bread for this friend of mine. Then the girls apped and I read my book out on the deck. After that things got a little crazy.

The dinger went off on the oven to take the bread out and about the same time Madeline woke up from her nap. I went to get her from her room. Without me knowing, during that time Jay had come home and didn't see me so he went out back to see if I was at the garden. He didn't find me, but he found our dog Elijah laboring out back. He wasn't able to breath well and he looked terrible. Jay came in and said that Elijah was sick and we needed to go take a closer look. We tried to give him water, but he wouldn't take it. He was laboring in his breathing so badly. And one touch of his stomach said that we needed to get him to the vet ASAP.

Jay took off to the vet and I stayed home trying to figure out the logistics of what to do with the girls (as having them at the vets office with all of the craziness would be the best place for them. I wouldn't have minded if Emma came, because we talk to her honestly about stuff. But, without much thought I looked into other options). Thankfully I found my mom not far from our house and she scooted right over and I called another friend/neighbor to see if she could drive me to the vet.

I ran inside and they brough me to the area in back - I knew that wasn't good when you byass the regular exam rooms and straight to the back area. There I found my poor little Elijah there with a tube in his throat trying so hard to breath, but knowing his body just couldn't work anymore. Jay and the Dr explained to me that right when Jay brought him in they were going to get some exrays, but while they were setting that up he went into heart failure. They brought him back, but that wouldn't last. We had to make a choice. We both knew what we had to do. It was time to let him go. He was very peaceful when he left us. That doesn't make it much easier - if at all. We spent a good amount of time with him after he was gone.

I have to page through my photos to find some of him. Oh he will be missed. What a sweet boy and loved so dearly. Like all of our pets, we are lucky enough, that they love us and our kids dearly and we love them.

No comments: